What is Ayurveda Medicine?
Ayurveda is a holistic approach to health and healing. It is based on the principle that one size does not fit all and protocols and recommendations are given based on the person’s genetic constitution, illness and lifestyle. There is growing scientific research to show that it works and much of western science is now discussing what ayurveda has been doing for 5,000 years. For example, ayurveda has looked at the gut microbiome as a first analysis and the west are just exploring it now!. The World Health Organisation has also recognised and supports the proper use of Ayurveda with qualified practitioners. A balanced state of elements in the body brings health, and an imbalance brings disease.
Ayurveda is a name not many have heard of but it really is a simple science of life. Ayurveda looks at the function of your 70-trillion cells in your body and how they behave to dictate the person that you are. If they are in balance, you will feel wonderfully energetic and in tune. This includes the health of your organs and blood, nervous and endocrine system, digestion and circulation. It really does look at everything and look to the cause NOT JUST THE SYMPTOMS. For example, did you know that the kidneys and the heart are very closely linked? Or that the liver, gallbladder and stomach are very closely linked?
Ayurveda is a sustainable way to live and DOES NOT include fad diets, calorie counting or eliminating certain foods. In fact, some of the meals are absolutely delicious, grounding, nourishing AND filling.
A thorough assessment will consist of me looking at your lifestyle, emotions and stress responses, age, environment, relationships and attitude to life. I will also consider your life history, current mental health, analyize your digestion, face, tongue and ayurveda pulse, skin, hair and nails.
A combination of techniques are used by me to help you, depending on your current situation. This will vary by individual but can include some or all of the following:
- Clean eating and gentle detoxification
- Nourishing therapy (brimhana) to build you up if you are underweight
- Ayurveda Body-Mind Types – Understanding yourself and how you ‘tick’
- Understanding and reading your own body so you do not have to see me so much
- Addressing body image and underlying motivations for what you want to be or look like
- Eliminating the concept of the “perfect diet” – there is none
- Reducing Cravings including unhealthy sugary foods
- Addressing how your stress affects your diet
- Eating well with your budget – healthy eating is NOT expensive; it can be cheaper than unhealthy eating!
- Looking at spices and herbs to suit you and balance any issue you may have
- Cooking basics so you do not have to overthink anything relating to food
- How to get your five (or nine) a day simply and easily
- Balancing body and mind through the seasons
- Anti-inflammatory diets and why inflammation (such as arthritis) may be the cause of your pain or illness
- Managing the mentrual cycle better
- Probiotics and Prebiotics
- Managing and monitoring your own weight
- Managing and reassessing your own stress or anxiety
- Mindfulness and Meditation to suit busy lifestyles
- Yoga or Sun Salutations; asana sequences to calm the parasympathetic nervous system
- Assessing your negative inner voice
- What success means for you
- Looking at your own natural rhythms
- Utilising and using your strengths to benefit your life
- Creating your self-worth and self-love
- Enhancing your sex life
- Encouraging social connections that enhance your life
- Starting a new business or a new life
- Managing your time to be able to implement any changes that you want
- Eliminating or reducing muscular aches and pains with massage and stretching
We will base your plans on your individual dosha. Please read about these in detail in my blog section or click on the links below and see which one you can relate to:
You will be defined by:
- Your physical characteristics
- Your inner physiology and functions
- Your emotional characteristics
- The type of life you live. So your work, leisure choices, family, friends
- The type of illness and disease your are most prone to
“Christine’s knowledge of the body, mind and functional medicine is phenomenal. Her approach is holistic and individual – never rushed and very thorough. She is enthusiastic and kind and the environment feels calm, safe and tranquil. I look forward to my regular visits enormously and always leave feeling restored and motivated”.
You will also be empowered with simple and easy techniques for managing your own imbalances with Ayurveda and you will learn so much about yourself along the way. She really is an eye-opener and a powerhouse of knowledge.
Some of the pathologies that Ayurveda aims to address are:
- Irritable Bowels
- Poor Sleep
- Anxiety and Stress/Headaches
- Hypohydrosis or cold extremities
- Raynauds Syndrome/Numbness
- Cancer prevention
- Unwanted Weight-loss
- Low immunity-coughs, colds, respiratory conditions
- Overly dry skin
- Hot Flushes
- High Cholesterol
- Chronic Fatigue/Adrenal Fatigue/Lethargy
- Low Libido
…. to name but a few…….
Ayurveda can incorporate some, or all of the following for sustainable health, stress management, weight-loss and longevity:
- Specific food plans tailored for the individual and pathology
- Herbal or Mineral Protocols, taken from the root, plant or leaf
- Balancing of Microbiome in the gut
- Purification/detoxification methods
- Medicinal Honey
- Medicinal Baths
- Seasonal Eating
- Hot and cold techniques to readjust your body temperature
- Exercise for the individual
- Yoga, mindfulness, meditation or relaxation techniques
- Self Massage
- Medicated or Aromatherapy Oils specifically for your dosha
- Dry Body Brushing and Manual Lymphatic Drainage
- Ayurveda massages including detoxifying facials
- Marma point therapy
- Janu Basti with warm oil to nourish joints via the 7 layers of skin
- Colour therapy
- Forest Therapy (or Forest Bathing)
I will work out which area for you to start on and will explain why.
You get 10 minutes with your doctor – you get one hour 30 minutes with me! Charges are £50.00 for your first consultation, assessment, feedback and monitoring.
This will consist of:
- A 1 hour 30 minutes consultation
- Physical examination and assessment to determine next steps
- Food lists to suit your dosha
- First course of Herbs FREE (if needed)
- Guided first steps to get you started
- It also includes a half hour follow-up phone call discussion two weeks later to provide feedback on what is working well and what areas you are finding most difficult. I will coach you on a solution to keep you moving towards your goals.
Follow up appointments are £40.00 for one hour-this is where I mentor and coach you to succeed. Each session will enhance the previous one and motivate you closer towards your goals, your optimum health and a better life for you and those around you.
A Healthy Person is one whose digestion is fully optimised and whose bodily tissues (including plasma, lymph, blood, muscles, bones and reproductive organs) are functioning to optimum capacity. Alongside that, if your senses and mind are filled with happiness and contentment you are then called a healthy person.
Mental health is a state of wellbeing in which the individual realises his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully and is able to make a contribution to his or her own community (World Health Organisation).
DNA photo by qimono / Pixabay
Ayurveda Practitioner, Wellness Coach, Mindfulness Coach, NLP Practitioner, Qualified Aromatherapist and Trigger Point Specialist.
The mental health conditions I specialist in are Anxiety and Depression.