What is Ayurveda Medicine?
Ayurveda is a holistic approach to health and healing. It is based on the principle that one size does not fit all and protocols and recommendations are given based on the person’s genetic constitution, illness and lifestyle. There is growing scientific research to show that it works and much of the research is evidence-based. The World Health Organisation has also recognised and supports the proper use of Ayurveda with qualified practitioners. A balanced state of elements in the body brings health, and an imbalance brings disease.
Ayurveda is a name not many have heard of but it really is a simple science, most of which is now being proved by scientists. It is all about how you function, you will be able to relate closely to the symptoms of various doshas and then seek help for your ailment. Ayurveda looks at the functioning of all of your 70-trillion cells in your body and how they behave to dictate the person that you are. If they are in balance, you will feel wonderfully energetic and in tune. However, if they are not functioning optiminally, it will show up in various parts of your body and characteristics. Everyone will be defined by:
- Your physical characteristics
- Your inner physiology and functions
- Your emotional characteristics
- The type of life you live. So your work, leisure choices, family, friends
- The type of illness and disease your are most prone to
Ayurveda uses concepts of physiology, pathology, diagnosis, medicine and therapeutics to achieve equilibrium which is believed to bring health and longevity.
Everything is linked so bringing homeostatis in the body is of prime importance for health. For example, did you know that the kidneys and the heart are very closely linked. Type 2 diabetes can be the main cause of kidney disease and most diabetics are obese. Can you see the connection?
Ayurveda is a sustainable way of living and does NOT include fad diets. I will manage you with a specific diet plan to treat the issue (and this is NOT just about giving up dairy, wheat or sugar!). You eat real and nourishing food.
We will include herbal medicine and specific herbs and bodywork therapies to help the central nervous system. I will also be mentoring you along the way.
You will also be empowered with simple and easy techniques for managing your own imbalances with Ayurveda and you will learn so much about yourself along the way. It really is eye-opening and a powerhouse of knowledge. Ayurveda looks at the causative factors of any illness and does not just look to treat the symptoms.
Some of the pathologies that Ayurveda aims to address are:
- Irritable Bowels
- Poor Sleep
- Anxiety and Stress/Headaches
- Hypohydrosis or cold extremities
- Raynauds Syndrome/Numbness
- Cancer prevention
- Unwanted Weight-loss
- Low immunity-coughs, colds, respiratory conditions
- Overly dry skin
- Hot Flushes
- High Cholesterol
- Chronic Fatigue/Adrenal Fatigue/Lethargy
- Low Libido
…. to name but a few…….
Ayurveda can incorporate some, or all of the following for sustainable health, stress management, weight-loss and longevity:
- Specific food plans tailored for the individual and pathology
- Herbal or Mineral Protocols, taken from the root, plant or leaf.
- Medicinal Honey
- Balancing of Microbiome in the gut
- Purification/detoxification methods
- Seasonal Eating
- Heat, cold techniques
- Exercise for the individual
- Yoga, mindfulness, meditation or relaxation techniques
- Aromatherapy oils
- Self Massage
- Dry Body Brushing and Manual Lymphatic Drainage
- Ayurveda massages including detoxifying facials
- Marma point therapy
- Colour therapy
- Forest Therapy (or Forest Bathing)
A combination of techniques will be used to help you, depending on your current situation. This will vary by individual but can include some or all of the following:
- Clean eating and gentle detoxification
- Ayurveda Body-Mind Types – Understanding yourself and how you ‘tick’
- Understanding and reading your own body so you do not have to see me so much
- Addressing body image and underlying motivations for what you want to be or look like
- Eliminating the concept of the “perfect diet” – there is none
- Reducing Cravings including unhealthy sugary foods
- How your stress affects your diet
- Eating well with your budget – healthy eating is NOT expensive; it can be cheaper than unhealthy eating!
- Looking at spices and herbs to suit you and balance any issue you may have
- Cooking basics so you do not have to overthink anything relating to food
- How to get your five a day in simply and easily
- Anti-inflammatory diets and why inflammation may be the root cause of your pain or illness
- Managing the mentrual cycle better
- Probiotics and Prebiotics
- Managing and monitoring your own weight
- Managing and reassessing your own stress or anxiety
- Mindfulness and Meditation to suit busy lifestyles
- Balancing body and mind through the seasons
- Assessing your negative inner voice
- What success means for you
- Looking at your own natural rhythms
- Utilising and using your strengths to benefit your life
- Creating your self-worth and self-love
- Enhancing your sex life
- Encouraging social connections that enhance your life
- Starting a new business or a new life
- Managing your time to be able to implement any changes that you want
- Eliminating or reducing muscular aches and pains with massage and stretching
“Christine’s knowledge of the body, mind and functional medicine is phenomenal. Her approach is holistic and individual – never rushed and very thorough. She is enthusiastic and kind and the environment feels calm, safe and tranquil. I look forward to my regular visits enormously and always leave feeling restored and motivated”.