Do you wake up tired even after a good night’s sleep?
Do you experience brain fog/woolly head on a regular basis?
Are you often unenthusiastic about life or social events?
These are just 3 of the signs that you may have a toxic body.
90% of pathology begins in the gut ie the large intestine, in the form of hormones, toxins and stools.. The microbiome which lives in the gut can be affected by so many factors in our lifestyle. What we eat is only part of the picture. Rheumatoid arthritis, anxiety or depression may actually be a cause of poor gut microbiome.
As most of our immunity also begins in the gut, things like colds, upper respiratory tract infections or urinary tract infections can be a sign of poor gut biome.
We need to be able to digest the food effectively, assimilate the nutrients from these foods and excrete the unwanted waste from the body. Far too often this is not happening as someone may have constipation, sluggish digestion or diarrhea. All of this can contribute to toxicity. Ideally, the meal you eat in the evening should be digested and excreted the following morning.
You can become tired from passing stools too quickly as food and nutrients are not absorbed. On the other hand if digestion is too quick,
The key cardinal signs of toxicity in the body are:
- Coating on the tongue. This could be white, yellow or green
- You wake up tired even though you have had a good few hours of sleep.
- You have not taste for food or have lost your appetite
- You have joint pains which are unexplained and constant
- You get common colds, sinus congestion or infections several times a year
- You feel some parts of your body are not working properly eg breathing, bowel function, digestion
- You experience regular brain fuzz or foggy thinking.
- You feel weary, heavy or slow
- You are prone to indigestion
- You lack motivation or enthusiasm about life and often cancel events
- You suffer from indigestion or heartburn
- You experience bad breath
- You have more saliva in your mouth or a constant runny nose
Causes of this toxicity:
- Impaired digestive system. Your digestion is not working as well as it should be. This means you are clogging up the stomach, intestines and lymphatic system. Toxins from undigested food creeps into your bloodstream.
- Over-eating. If you eat too much for the size of your stomach, your bile, acids etc will not work effectively to digest the food to the next level.
- Too much cold food can shock the body and slow down digestion. This can result in the impaired system I mentioned above.
- Eating at the wrong time of day. This is a big one for me. We are programmed in the West to have 3 meals a day, with snacks in between. We will also eat a 2 or 3 course meal if we go out late at night. This is lethal on your system! WE SHOULD NOT BE EATING OUR MAIN MAIL AFTER 7.30PM. However, this a tradition for the majority of the people I meet. The largest meal is as dinner or supper. Science is slow to catch up on this but your main meal should be between 12.30 and 2.00pm.
- Sleeping soon after eating
- Not enough exercise
- Eating before the last meal has even been digested. This goes back to my main meal of the day issue. If you eat late at night, you are very unlikely to have digested fully when you sleep. We are then encouraged to eat breakfast as the most important meal of the day. This too is just wrong. If you eat on top of already undigested food, you will be sure to build up toxins in the body.
- 8. Snacking. Do not graze or snack in between meals. If you are going to eat fruit, eat it BEFORE your meal or it backs up like a soiled drainpipe. If you are eating fruit, eat it as an actual meal such as breakfast or lunch. Do not snack between meals if you want to burn off the last meal and fats and reduce toxicity that relates to most of your issues.
I will go into greater detail on liver and bile function which is key to linking to optimum digestion and less toxins.
Toxicity in the body can weaken the immune system. A weakened immune system is more susceptible to catching colds, flu and viruses.
Contact me for an Ayurveda Consultation and treatment protocol if you experience the signs of toxicity in your body.